The popularity of 4WD utes has exploded in Australia in recent years. The Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger took-out the top two best-selling cars in the country for 2020, with the Hilux holding first place for five consecutive years. The Mitsubishi Triton and Toyota Prado also featured in the top 10.
In terms of towing capability, there really is no ‘best’ choice between utes and wagons. It comes down to what you want and need from your towing vehicle.
Things to consider when choosing a tow vehicle
- What you tow
- How often you tow
- What else the car will be used for
- How many passengers you have
Click here to read our article on what to look for when choosing a tow vehicle.
What makes a 4WD wagon the right choice
A 4WD wagon may be a better option if you need:
- more room for passengers (third row of seats)
- greater comfort from your vehicle (utes are notoriously rugged but ute-based wagons such as the Ford Everest, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, and Toyota Fortuner are improving with constant tweaks from manufacturers to further differentiate them from their ute origins)
- better ride quality and handling.
What makes a 4WD ute the right choice
A 4WD ute may be a better option if you need:
- something more robust (4WD utes are now practically as accomplished off-road as their wagon counterparts but can definitely take more punishment than all but the most capable off-road wagons)
- the greatest payload possible
- flexibility in terms of adding a canopy, bed cover or being able to use a massive amount of cargo space.
Dual cab utes are so popular because they are a good alternative to a wagon, offering full-time seating for up to five passengers. But you should keep in mind that the back seat will not be the most comfortable option, especially for adults.
For some, you’ll know immediately what you need from your tow vehicle and so the choice between ute or wagon, will be an obvious one. For others, more consideration will be required. The best thing you can do is lots of research.
Ready to chat?
Get in touch with our experienced and knowledgeable team if you need help deciding what you ultimately need from a tow vehicle. We’re always happy to assess your unique situation and make recommendations to help you choose an appropriate vehicle and accessories. We have you covered for towbars and towing accessories, no matter what your requirements. Speak with our team today on 8360 5100 for immediate answers or click here to send us a message.